(This site is reader-supported. When you buy something using retail links on our articles, we may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
There are lots of people who love to watch movies. Some people like to focus on the movie itself, while others like to pay attention to the details, such as what they see in each scene. But there’s one thing every person notices when watching John Wick movies – his knives. They’re always an interesting part of the show, and they help set it apart from most other action films. One reason for this is that Keanu Reeves used different knives throughout all three films.
Indeed, Keanu Reeves is not the first idol to remember when considering knife-handling heroes. However, not many knives got into the bestseller limelight like the Out The Front (OTF) knives from Microtech because it was featured in this movie.
For example, the Cypher from Microtech, the newest OTF, was the knife of John Wick in the third movie series. These knives became famous even among non-knife folks as super tactical and iconic self-defense knives because of the film series.
In this article, we’re going to look at some of those designs and give you an idea of what OTF knives are used for!
Type of Knives Used in John Wick Films
John Wick movies feature OTF knives made by Microtech. These knives come with a blade lengthening and retracting from a launching hole at the handle’s front along its axis. The blade comes out at the handle’s top upon lengthening just like a pen. Upon retracting, the blade conceals itself inside the handle.
An OTF knife is a switchblade, as it automatically deploys the blade with a switch.
Although occupying a relatively narrow market share and available in limited quantities from a few brands, OTFs have become quite popular due to the media and celebrities showcasing them in the limelight. Indeed, these knives are distinct.
Two types of OTFs exist, which are as follows:
- Single Action: In single action knives, the blade is pushed forward and gets locked in its place. It is also easy to retract the blade by deactivating the lock and moving it manually. A strong spring mechanism disrupts the skin and pushes the blade to pass through light apparel.
- Double Action: Such a knife automatically retracts and deploys its blade using only a button push existing typically on the handle’s side. For this purpose, the knife features a less robust spring that cannot disrupt the skin. The simple, rugged build allows quick deployment of the blade. Even the retracting action is quick so that you can put the blade away as swift as it was deployed. John Wick OTFs belong to this category.
The majority of the OTF knives are automatic knives.
What Knife is John Wick Using?
As we said, all the John Wick knives are OTF knives from Microtech. The company produces a variety of such knives, each differing in terms of size, shape, and style.
Microtech OTFs are available in a myriad of varieties. You can easily spot them with different blade styles such as Tanto to double-edged, finishing options such as stonewash stainless to Diamond-Like Coating (DLC), serrations, and custom designs.
Even the handles of John Wick Microtech models are available in different colors, including those of the rainbow, for fulfilling different buyer preferences.
Subdued blacks or grays are distinct enough for the hitman-type preference, brown and green patterns are for the law enforcement personnel, and vibrant yellow, orange, and red appeal to the emergency responders who should immediately spot the blade when the surrounding is dark.
Following are the knives featured in John Wick movies:
Microtech Ultratech OTF – John Wick 1 (2014)
Microtech Ultratech OTF is just one model that Anthony Marfione, the founder of the company, designed. Featured in John Wick 1, it became the benchmark for OTF knives. This double-action fully automatic knife comes with a 3.4-inch blade that gets deployed by forward pushing the thumb switch. This action makes the knife ready instantly for use in close-quarters attacks.
The Ultratech is designed for use in strategic conditions such as self-defense, cutting seat belts, and making shelter. With the superior steel (Current blade steel used is primarily M390. possible variants are Carpenter CTS 204P / Carpenter XHP / Bohler ELMAX) making up the blade, quick one-handed design for deployment or concealment, integrated glass breaker, and several blade contours options, the Ultratech can reliably perform a difficult job.
There seems to be no other knife cooler for many fans than this OTF of John Wick. You may also find some updated models, which have more contoured and smoother handle designs.
Smaller versions of the original Ultratech are UTX-85 and UTX-70, designed to fit specific carry requirements. They are 85 and 70% of the original Ultratech’s size, respectively. In addition, there are other versions of Ultratech knives with different blade types, points, edges, materials, and colors.
Microtech Combat Troodon OTF – John Wick 2 (2017)
In John Wick 2, he uses Combat Troodon OTF. It is a full-sized model having a 3.8-inch long blade made of premium steel(Current blade steel used is primarily M390. Possible variants are Carpenter CTS 204P / Carpenter XHP / Bohler ELMAX). The name is derived from a bird-like dinosaur of the Cretaceous period of North America. This one is a bigger version of the normal Troodon in terms of blade length, as the original one has a blade length of just 3″.
Like the Ultratech, the Combat Troodon series has a common handle design but offers a myriad of blade shapes apt for various uses. The handles are of anodized aluminum, a carbide glass breaker resides on the butt, a dual-edge grind is there in plain or serrated edge, and clip point or single-edged Bowie style gives a functional appeal.
Microtech Cypher OTF – John Wick 3 (2019)
John Wick 3 features a Smooth Handle Cypher OTF. The knife comes with a black aluminum handle, a 4-inch long blade of double-edged dagger style, and a stonewash finish. In addition, the blade is made of top-quality stainless steel to give you a high-performing cutting edge.
The stylized, smooth handle made of light aluminum has an anodized finish and offers a firm grip. Further, a milled titanium pocket clip ensures a comfortable tip-down carry. It is a manufactured version of the esteemed A. Marfione / D.C. Munroe association. The Cypher is available in different versions as well.
If you wish to buy these knives, Microtech also offers Marfione Custom sets as boxed collector sets having the first two OTF knives. They also come with three gold challenge coins and a John Wick’s pencil weapon, which all movie fans will love to have.
Deadlock from Hawk Knife Designs – John Wick 4(2023)
John Wick decided to get an upgrade for the 4th movie and chose deadlock from hawk knife designs.
The Haw Knife Designs Deadlock is an impressive OTF knife that combines a sleek, stylish design with outstanding functionality. Aptly named, this OTF auto is notable for having zero-blade play.
The knife features a robust titanium frame lock that ensures a secure and reliable lockup, while the dual-edged blade is made from premium CPM-20CV steel that offers excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance. It has a blade length of 3.5 inches (Sorry, California John Wick fans this isn’t legal for you!).
One of the standout features of the Deadlock is its unique dual pivot system, which allows for incredibly smooth and effortless deployment of the blade. The knife also features a comfortable and ergonomic handle that is made from tumbled titanium, providing an excellent grip and reducing overall weight.
Overall, the Haw Knife Designs Deadlock is an exceptional knife that is perfect for both everyday carry and more heavy-duty tasks. Its combination of top-of-the-line materials, innovative design, exceptional build quality, and zero-blade play make it an excellent choice for anyone in the market for a high-end OTF knife.
This is a custom knife and the cost to create is high. These knives go around for $2k and you will need to prebook at their website for a fresh piece.
Applications of John Wick OTF Knives
The OTF knives used in John Wick films are useful for many applications that demand swift execution in a short period. Whether cutting a belt or facing an assassin, these blades are always handy. The following are the key areas in which OTFs are widely used:
- Law Enforcement / Rescue Services: Emergency services personnel and law enforcement officers often use automatic knives to deploy a blade using just a single hand and use it for activities such as cutting a rope or seat belt. Police officers also use an auto knife, which is seen on the opposite side of where they keep the firearm. It is used when anyone attempts to take the gun. While trying to disarm, the main hand keeps the weapon away from the offender. Thus, the other hand is the only option for deploying another weapon. Even NASA’s flight squads use these knives while working in low-G situations, as they typically hold on to something to prevent floating away while finishing their tasks manually.
- Self-defense: This is where the general public legally owns and uses an OTF to weaken the opponent psychologically by presenting it in front of it. It is pretty cool and scary, but very effective too.
OTF Knives in Other Movies and TV Shows
OTF Knives have also appeared in other series and shows.
- In the action-based TV series 24, Jack Bauer used the Microtech HALO III to protect the world from extinction.
- Many OTFs were also used in the Dark Knight Rises featuring Batman’s nemesis. One of them was Combat Troodon featuring a drop point blade in black. In some other settings, Batman has used the Microtech HALO.
- Despicable Me, the all-time animation hit for kids, showcased an OTF. While in a lab, the adorable villain, Gru, uses an OTF for cutting a wire.
- The Eraser starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Vanessa Williams, and James Caan features a Microtech HALO.
- The Long Kiss Goodnight starring Samuel L. Jackson, Geena Davis, and Yvonne Zima features a Microtech HALO.
- The High School High starring Jon Lovitz, Tia Carrere, and Louise Fletcher features a Microtech HALO.
- The Men In Black starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, and Linda Fiorentino features a Microtech HALO.
- The Reindeer Games starring Ben Affleck, Gary Sinise, and Charlize Theron, features a Microtech HALO II.
- The Bullet to the Head starring Sylvester Stallone, Jason Momoa, and Christian Slater features a Microtech HALO V.
- The Olympus Has Fallen features a Microtech HALO III, starring Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, and Morgan Freeman.
- The Saint-Tropez (Music Video) by Post Malone features a Microtech Ultratech.
- The Gemini Man starring Will Smith features a Microtech Cypher
Are John Wick OTFs Legal to Carry and Use?
Automatic knives were banned in several regions of the world in the 20th century, as they were linked to the gang culture of that time. They are now being held legal in many cities and neighborhoods worldwide. However, it is wise to check out the laws on switchblades in your area before getting one.
If you are in the United States, please can refer to the below image from AKTI.org for laws on automatic OTF knives in your state.
What knife did John Wick use in John Wick 1?
Microtech Ultratech OTF. This double-action fully automatic knife comes with a 3.4-inch blade made of premium steel.
What knife did John Wick use in John Wick 2?
Microtech Combat Troodon OTF. It is a full-sized model having a 3.8-inch long blade and is a favorite among law enforcement, military, and first responder personnel.
What knife did John Wick use in John Wick 3?
Microtech Cypher OTF. The knife comes with a black aluminum handle, a 4-inch long blade of double-edged dagger style, and a stonewash finish.
All the knives used in the John Wick film franchise are Microtech OTF Knives. Although showcased in movies and TV series, these knives are real-world weapons. From the construction to visual appeal, every aspect of these knives is appealing. Thus, you can buy these OTFs with confidence. However, do not forget to check if the knife is legal in your area or not.
Hi, I am Jay. I am the creator of Knife Guides, your one-stop site for everything related to knives. I am a computer engineer by profession, knife aficionado by passion. Here I work with a group of people who’ve always had a passion for knives and blades. Over the years we’ve kind of become experts and decided to share our knowledge and ideas. I am also an avid hiker and enjoy offshore gamefishing.